You may say, "Are you crazy? Autism is a blessing?" Over the years I have come to recognize that YES, autism has it's blessings: Fully appreciating the sacredness of life. The true meaning of unconditional love. Patience.(ok,so I am still working on this!) To never give up HOPE. To never give up & find strength you didn't know you had. The blessing of a unique little boy with a vibrant spirit and delightful squeal. Jacob, I am so BLESSED you are my son!

Friday, March 18, 2005

It's a "man" thing....

I'll never understand what the obsession is within the male species with women and long hair, but it seems to have even taken hold of a boy with autism. That's proof enough for me that it's in the genes!

For as long as I can remember, Jacob has twirled my hair. It's especially comforting to him when he's getting sleepy. He'll start doing his "sucky mouth", tear out the pony tail holder from my hair and twist and twirl away. I sometimes joke that Jacob wouldn't love me anymore if I cut my hair short!

I've had people tell me, "Oh I love it when people play with my hair! That's so sweet!" Yeah well, sometimes it is sweet. But those times usually aren't at 2am when you'd do just about anything for one good night's sleep!

But it's not just MY hair he plays with. Any female, regardless of age, is fair game. While he does prefer brunettes, blondes will do in a pinch. Last year I went to his school for his Halloween party. There was an assembly and Jacob spent the entire time playing with the young classmate's hair who was sitting in front of him. I told him to stop a couple of times, but then the girl turned around and said, "It's ok...He can do it if he wants to!"

Jacob celebrated his 6th birthday on March 14. Grandma Bev decided to give Jacob a doll with the idea that maybe he'd twirl the doll's hair and leave mine alone. Well the jury is still out on that one. While he has picked up the doll a time or two for inspection, "Belle" is quickly tossed aside, and Jacob has snuggled up beside me and begins twirling away.

It is then that our 2 1/2 year old, Noah, grabs up Belle and serves her some tea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home